Thursday, November 1, 2012

Kombucha


A friend suggested to me a while ago that I should try kombucha. It's a tea that is fermented, full of probiotics and antioxidants. It's supposed to be great for gut health, gives you energy, and has a lot of great nutrients. 
I was hesitant to try it at first, but now I can't go without it!
It's pretty expensive (about $3.00/16 oz. bottle) to buy in the store, so I searched online to try to find a way to make it on my own! :)
To take a peek at the directions I followed, go to this site

Here's what you need:
-1 (16 oz.) bottle of raw, organic, unpasturized/unflavored kombucha (I found it at our "natural store" but I've also found it at Safeway a little cheaper)
-1 gallon glass jar
-1 gallon spring/distilled water
-6 to 8 green or black tea bags (I used green)
-1 cup granulated white sugar
-Steel stock pot
-Wooden spoon
-Coffee filter
-Rubber band




 Steps:

 1. Bring 1/2 gallon of the distilled water to a boil in a large, steel stock pot.

2. When it boils, turn off the heat and add the tea bags.

3. Cover the pot and let the tea steep for 15 minutes.

4. After 15 minutes, remove the tea bags.

5. Add the sugar and stir well with a wooden spoon until completely dissolved.

 6. Cover the pot and let it sit until room temperature.

7. Once at room temperature, poor the cooled tea into the glass jar. (Be sure the jar is VERY clean to prevent mold.)

8. Add the 16 oz. of kombucha.

9. Add the rest of the distilled water, being sure to leave at least 2 inches of space between the tea and the top of the jar to allow the SCOBY (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast- sounds gross, looks gross, but makes some good tea!)

 10. Place the coffee filter on top, and wrap with the rubber band. This insures that the tea is able to breathe/brew, without letting junk get into it.

11. Set the jar in a place that won't get disturbed, and doesn't get direct sunlight.

12. After 2-3 weeks, you should see a thin, translucent film covering the surface of the tea. (This picture was take after about a week and a half)
See the beginning of the SCOBY growing? :)  

 This is the bottom. It's hard to get a decent picture, but it's starting to grow!

As my kombucha is brewing, I have been buying the store bought kind. Since kombucha, once brewed, cannot touch metal (it does something to ruin all of the probiotics and such), I've been saving my glass bottles from the kombucha I've already bought. That way I don't have to go out and buy bottles, and will have enough to store some in the fridge! :)

I hope this helps! As the SCOBY grows, I'll be taking more pictures and filling you in on how it's going!

No comments:

Post a Comment