Thursday, November 29, 2012

Stretch

Confession: I've always thought stretching was a waste of time.
I would stretch a little before the class started, then do the "cool down" stretches at the end of whatever class I was taking, but never really felt any difference. I was still so incredibly sore I couldn't take the stairs and had a hard time sitting down. I still couldn't lift my arms over my head without some bizarre "uhhhhhhhhggg" slipping out of my mouth. Once, I was SO sore I couldn't lift my left hand above my belly button!
In my attempts to skinny-down in the past I've worked way too hard too fast. I became so sore I couldn't move, preventing myself from continuing working out.
This time, along with not pushing myself beyond what I can handle (slow and steady lets you sit down on the toilet without crying), I've also started stretching before and after my workouts at home. This loosens me up prior to working out, allowing me to push harder and see progress quicker. Stretching after helps me be able to move the next day. :)
I've found the stretches at the gym are OK, but they just aren't enough for me.
At home, I now use a foam roller (more to come with my new focus foam roller love affair) on my body, and a tennis ball on my feet. This has been AWESOME and has really helped my soreness.
So- if you're workin out, stretch it out. You'll thank me later. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment