I have wanted to give Zumba a try for a long time. The problem? I can't dance.
I wanted to maybe get one of the videos or something and give it a shot. That way I didn't have to embarrass myself in front of a bunch of people. I could just do it at home. However, knowing how I am and how I just can't bring myself to workout at home when my couch is calling my name, I knew it would be a waste of money.
I had heard from friends what a great workout it was, and that it was a really fun way to exercise, so I woman-ed up. (The chica version of manning up.) I walked in that class of skinny mamas to shake a chunky tail feather.
At the beginning of every class at the gym I go to, they always ask if there's anyone new. I contemplated not raising my hand. But, I've learned when you admit you're new, everyone is very supportive and encouraging, giving you tips and all. Plus- let's face it, they don't expect as much from you, which is nice. ;)
The instructor was awesome! She was so FUN!! (Sister could really shake it too!!) She said the rules were:
1. There are no mistakes.
2. If you get lost, just shake your booty till you figure it out. :)
My friends were definitely right! I had SO much fun! I had to make it a point to not look at myself in the giant wall mirrors or I'd get all self conscious and weird. As long as I didn't look, and didn't compare myself to the other booty shakers, I had a GREAT time!
It's really done more for me than just exercise. (Don't get me wrong- I come outta that class sweating like a big dog. It's one of the hardest workouts I've done!!) It helps me let loose and relax. It reminds me not to take myself so seriously. Helps me not compare myself to others.
I love it! It's so much fun, such a good work out, and I actually look forward to it each week! :)
If you ever get the opportunity, I'd definitely give it a shot! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment