I had my first experience with yoga yesterday. I worked Sunday night (until 8am Monday morning) so I was a little sleepy going in. (NOT a good choice.)
I ran a little before going in. (Also, not a good choice.) It's a little hard to get all peaceful and tranquil when you smell like a wet dog. I think today I will do yoga first, workout second. :)
I walked in late. :/ All of the lights were off, so I thought the class hadn't started yet. I went up front to ask the girl if they were still having the class, and she explained that the entire class is in the dark. No lights. After being awake for over 24 hrs. Being told to relax...it's really quite amazing I didn't just take a nap. :)
I quietly grabbed a yoga mat and jumped in.
Despite being a relaxing class focused on strength and stretching, the instructors voice was harsh and she yelled as if there were loud music playing or a large number of people in the room. (There were four of us.)
It was harder than I expected. Despite being a big girl, I'm pretty flexible. So I thought I'd be fine. Then, the woman asked us to lay down, bend our knees and put our heels to our butts, GRAB THEM, and stretch. I did it, but I imagine the look on my face was HILARIOUS! Some things she asked us to do just wasn't gonna happen. I actually got a look from the instructor when, after she explained a particularly ridiculous move, I went, "PFFFT!" Like, YEAH RIGHT!
The class ends by laying however you feel comfortable, and relaxing in complete silence. It took everything in me to not fall asleep, fearing I'd start snoring like a chainsaw.
It wasn't a horrible experience... She said a bunch of words I didn't understand regarding the different positions, and the talk of self-healing and chakras freaked me out a little... But it wasn't bad enough to not try again. I felt pretty awesome after. My skin everywhere felt tingly- like it had woken up. That was neat.
So, here's to trying new things!
No comments:
Post a Comment