Thursday, December 6, 2012

My favorite workouts :)

Since starting back to the gym, I wanted to make sure to take a wide variety of classes. This way, I can keep it fresh and fun, while working different muscle groups.
Here's a list of classes I've been taking, what muscle group they work out best (for me), and what I like/don't like about each class. :)
Bodypump- This class is cardio + weightlifting. It's an hour long, and targets one muscle group per song, working out the entire body! I REALLY feel it in my thighs and triceps. I love how much stronger I've been feeling after taking it. It's made a big difference in my thighs (TONS of squats and lunges. :/ lol) The only thing I don't like with this class is that they do the an track last. My whole body is already exhausted by that point, and I don't feel like my abs get a good workout because I'm already so tired.
Zumba- This has to be my favorite class! I look forward to it all week! It's cardio on crack. This is one of the only classes that my abs are sore afterwards. I come out of that class sweatin like a big dog! I can't think of anything I don't like about this class. :) It's fun, really tough, and a fantastic workout!
Bodycombat- This is another super tough class! It's basically a cardio kickboxing class set to music. It's also another really fun one! My arms get the biggest workout from this one, but it is most definitely a total body workout. The class is GREAT for stress release, and I always feel like a tough cookie after I'm done. :) The only thing I don't like about the class right now is that I can't keep up yet! lol There are quite a few times I have to pause during each track.
Yoga- I have never really been a huge fan of yoga. It didn't seem like it would have much benefit for me. I was definitely wrong! This class helps my strength, balance, and loosens up my muscles. I've found that incorporating yoga into my routine has made me significantly less sore and able to push myself a lot harder during my other workouts.
CSI- (Stands for cardio strength interval) I have to say it...I hate this class. lol It's the shortest class I take (only 30-45 min) but holy cow is it hard! It's circuit training (I think that's what it's called) and you only do each part (squats, planks, etc) for 30 seconds, then switch to the next one. That makes it nice, because by the end of each 30 seconds I am READY to switch! I only hate this class right now because I have the hardest time keeping up! :) Mountain climbers, pikes and planks on the balance ball, squats... It beats me up. :) It is a great cardio workout, as well as strengthening. I feel this class working everywhere.
Though I don't think it's necessary to take classes to lose weight, it helps me a lot. I push myself a lot harder in classes, enjoy the group setting, and love how encouraging and supportive the instructors are. I would definitely recommend any of these classes! I was told in the beginning to take each class three times before deciding whether or not you'd like to continue, so that you can get the hang of it and give it a chance. I'd definitely recommend that as well. The first class can be confusing, as you're figuring out what the terms and moves are, the second class you're starting to get the hang of it, and by the third class you can get a better understanding as to whether the class is for you. :)
Give em a shot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment