Monday, March 11, 2013

When to weigh yourself

A few of my friends that I've been losing weight with get disappointed when the scale goes crazy on them.

Side note: I did the same thing when I was first losing weight. My only goal was to get to that "magic number." If the number went up at ALL, or even stayed the same- regardless if I saw improvements in other ways- I felt like I was failing. Learn from me, don't do that!! :) The scale doesn't determine your success.

Truth is, scales suck. Even if you have one of those fancy schmancy read-your-body-fat-percentage ones, it sucks.

Your body changes throughout the day. It can literally fluctuate 2-4 pounds. In one day!

I tested this out, and here's my timeline:
0800- 156 lbs
1000- 157 lbs
1200- 159 lbs
1400- 158 lbs
1600- 161 lbs
1800- 158 lbs

Here's what I've learned so I don't ride the emotional roller coaster that comes with checking my weight constantly.

-weigh yourself right when you wake up.
-make sure you potty first
-try to only weigh yourself once/week

Here's what NOT to do when weighing yourself:
-don't weigh yourself every day (and ESPECIALLY not more than once a day)
-don't weigh yourself after eating
-don't weigh yourself after working out (You're muscles are all swollen up and you're retaining the water you should be drinking ;))
-don't weigh yourself after showering

And most of all, remember there are other ways than the scale to monitor your weight loss!! :)
-the way your clothes fit
-your energy level
-measurements
-taking pictures (before/during/after)
-muscles developing

I'd recommend ditching the scale altogether, but I know I wouldn't have listened to that. :) Just don't let the number dictate your self worth. You are more than a number. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment